- The visit in this monastery is part of our Road Trip Akrotiri with hike to the monastery Katholiko
The Monastery Gouverneto or Lady of Angels
is one of the oldest monasteries of Crete and constitutes a sample of orthodox monastery architecture. It was built in 1537 in altitude of 260 m by monks of the Catholic Church that later abandoned the place due to piracy.
Its reconstruction started during the Venetian period, but the works were interrupted because of the invasion of the Ottomans. The completion of the temple was achieved after many years and with a special authorization granted by the Ottomans.
Externally it resembles with Venetian fortress and has towers in its four corners with embrasures, from which however are saved today only two. It has dimensions 40 x 50 m and allocates 50 cells in two floors. The church of Eisodion of Theotokos or Lady of Angels is parallelogram with dome and allocates columns and sculptural decor that reminds of Italian technique.
There are two chapels, Agii Deka and Agios Ioannis o Xenos, that is dedicated to the founder of the monastery. There is a very small museum in the monastery that hosts works of ecclesiastical art and other precious relics.
Recommendation: On the way to the monastery Gouverneto you will pass from the Monastery Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) in Akrotiri peninsula. It’s architectural details in combination with the monastery’s atmosphere, the place is an oasis for the eyes and the soul.