Lentas is one of the places on the island of Crete that will remain unforgettable to the visitor. There, you feel far from everyday life and problems, and so many “hot topics” of daily conversations lose their meaning here.
This feeling of isolation is of course underlined by the impressive usual Cretan winding roads on the one hand up in the barren mountains and on the other side with continuous sea views down to the coast of Lentas village.
Lentas is separated by 29 fabulous km from the rest of civilization
Here, important for us passersby is the lapping of the waves while drinking a frappe, the unlimited views towards Africa, the warm sand under our feet, the unique bathing experience and the evening ouzo accompanied by the meze (appetizers).
The village consists of only a few houses, a few taverns and now also smaller hotels. While the Census 1940 pointed 13 inhabitants, they were in 2011 already 79.
Nevertheless Lentas was in ancient times an important city and one of the ports of Gortyn, known by the name Levin (to English Lion).
The name Levin …
… is derived from the distinctive lion-like rock on the west side of the village and there are two interpretations for this. Mythology says: This rock could have been the lion in the sidecar of the Mother Goddess Rea, who transformed here to stone, or was it one of Cleopatra’s here left behind lion, looking to Africa and still waiting for her return.
Beaches in Lentas
- Directly in front of the houses of Lentas is a large bay with sandy and partly pebbly beach.
- 1 km west to reach on foot stretches the large bay of Diskos with its endless sandy beach. Here in the western half are also seen some tents.
- At both beaches all basic comforts are provided as well as umbrellas and deck chairs.
- Matala, a village that lives with its sandstone caves
- The Palace of Phaistos, the most splendid representative of Minoan architecture
- Komos beach – fine golden sand framed by natural dunes
Find and book a hotel in Crete
Find your hotel in: Chania
Find your hotel in: Paleochora
Find your hotel in: Loutro
Find your hotel in: Kalives
Find your hotel in: Rethymnon
Find your hotel in: Plakias
Find your hotel in: Agia Galini
Find your hotel in: Matala
Find your hotel in: Heraklion
Find your hotel in: Hersonissos
Find your hotel in: Malia
Find your hotel in: Agios Nikolaos
Find your hotel in: Sitia
Find your hotel in: Makri Gialos
Find your hotel in: Ierapetra