The area of Falasarna offers one of the best swimming beaches on the island
The endless sandy beaches of Falasarna are within 1 hour’s drive west of Chania. Fine sand, wide beaches, crystal clear sea water with a sandy bottom, are waiting for the visitors.
The beaches are surrounded by 220m high hills that are often used in summer as the perfect paragliding slopes. In the sand dunes the beach lily Pancratium maritimum grows and blooms from August to October.
- The often windy area is also quite popular to surfers.
- There are canteens or taverns at all beaches.
- Falasarna beaches are also to reach by public bus from Chania or Kisamos, please be advised by http://bus-service-crete.com/timetabledet.php?line=3&lg=2 (the line is offered from May to October)
- With strong west or north wind we do not recommend a visit to the beaches of Falasarna; the fine sand is lifted by the wind and lands like needles on the body; also causes fairly high and withdrawing waves.
- The sea can be quite deep at Falasarna, children should not swim without an adult present and watching them. For families with small children we recommend the last bay at the north, where (directly next to the large sandy beach) rocks form a large natural swimming pool save for your children.